7 relocation tips
There are plenty of reasons to up sticks and move to a new area, whether it’s to upsize, downsize, redress the all-important work/life balance, or to be closer to friends and family.
Regardless of the end-purpose, the National Association of Estate Agents claims insight into an average settling-in time – around six to eight months apparently.
Before embarking on this significant readjustment, here are some tips from Nottingham Estate Agency and Harrison Murray Estate Agency:
- Visit the area a few times and drive around the surrounding towns and villages to get a feel for the bigger picture.
- Pop into the local pub and get chatting with the landlord. They usually know all about what’s happening in their locality.
- Try driving your route to work/school to get an idea of the journey and how long it will take.
- Depending on their age, children may not be completely receptive to moving away from friends, so take them on a tour – pointing out schools, local parks and opportunities for social activities.
- Buy editions of the local newspaper or read about the area online for information on local clubs and events – many places have their own website offering a wealth of information.
- Find out about services on your doorstep – from doctors and dentists to the post office and library – and why not grab a few menus from the local takeaways, you may need them on moving in day!
- If you have pets, it may be worth finding a reputable boarding kennel/cattery in your new area to take care of them for a day or two during the move to alleviate any stress.
For more information on an affordable home and contents insurance policy, please contact one of our team at R Collins & Co on 01977 558391.